pages

Friday, June 14, 2013

Superman won't kill the Devil

"Will you stand by and allow me to do as I would? You cannot confine me effectively, or stop me from committing whatever caprices I care to. Or will you kill me, good Superman?"

"You're talking nonsense."

"Nonsense?" She held up an open palm to the big Radio Corporation building across the plaza and a bolt of heat energy burst through the air in the building's direction. Superman met the bolt halfway with his chest and the force dissipated into the air. "Is this destructive power nonsense?"

"No," Superman said, "Your power is not nonsense. The idea that I would kill you simply because you misdirect it, however, is ridiculous."

"You prattling, idealistic fool. Do you expect me to stop of my own accord?"

"No, I don't. Unfortunately, I don't expect that at all."

"Then what do you expect to do about me?"

"Whatever I do with criminals and destructive forces like you. I'll follow you," Superman said, casually unshakable in his conviction that there was a good and an evil in the Universe, and determined to be a force for the good.

"You would follow me to the bowels of the Earth?"

"Certainly. Wherever you choose to vent your spleen I'll be there to stop you. It's as simple as that."

"To the rim of the Universe?"

"I think you're being melodramatic. I'll follow you to the ends of Creation. I look forward to seeing places where I've never been, and I don't suppose there could be a nobler mission for a Superman."

- Elliot S Maggin, "Miracle Monday" (1981)

No comments: